CV deadline: 13/02/19 @ 1200
Dept/Loc: DfT/Maritime & Coastguard Agency
We are looking for an IHO/FIG Category A accredited hydrographic surveyor (or an Honours degree in a relevant marine science related discipline & a post-graduate qualification in marine science with a major hydrographic surveying component) with field experience (the level of knowledge required would not usually be gained in less than 2-4 years) of offshore hydrographic survey operations including bathymetric data gathering. You will also have working knowledge of GIS.
Purpose of the role:
To provide hydrographic technical support to ensure the successful development and delivery of the UK Civil Hydrography Programme and other survey and collaborative initiatives, including any externally funded seabed mapping projects, undertaken by the HydroMet team.
To liaise with MCA CHP contractors to monitor all hydrographic contractual technical requirements to ensure successful delivery of the CHP including monitoring data acquisition, undertaking vessel and office visits to check that surveys are compliant with the MCA Survey Specification, liaising with the MCA Contractors and/or UKHO as necessary to resolve any issues/queries.
The post holder is required to travel within the UK and overseas to attend meetings to undertake contractor oversight visits.
The post holder will occasionally be required to spend short periods of time on board survey vessels usually alongside, possibly, but rarely, at sea.
Monitor the hydrographic technical aspects of the CHP's Routine Resurvey Programme, analyse the reports, discuss and review areas in collaboration with the UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO), feeding in to the annual programme.
* Take ownership of all technical queries to successful resolution, liaising with all stakeholders as necessary including trouble-shooting problematic datasets and tracing back to the source where appropriate e.g. investigating tidal, motion sensor, offsets, over/under cleaning, density and relating issues.Addressing problems raised by users e.g. gridding, data cleaning, daum issues, dealing with large volumes of data, mixing surfaces and point data sets.
* Utilise GIS-based tools to inform CHP operations, including the Survey Costing Tool and Survey Prioritisation Tool.
* Support the analysis and development of survey areas, liaising with stakeholders as necessary.
* Provide the main point of contact for Offshore Renewable Energy Installation (OREI) developers regarding the hydrographic requirements of MGN371.
* Contribute to the MCA's Civil Hydrography Annual Seminar (CHAS) and the production of the CHP's Annual Yearbook.
* Represent the MCA on relevant fora and specialist working groups, e.g. Civil Hydrography Working Group, IHO meetings.
* Support the development & delivery of collaborative and third party funded seabed mapping projects in order to augment national survey effort, providing hydrographic survey support and expertise.
As well as the specific experience required above you will have the necessary qualifications, skills & experience to take control of this requirement from its inception to its completion.
If you meet the experience required above please call/mail me asap for more information. Thank you.