Health & safety Advisor
CV deadline: 17/10/18 @ 1145
Clearance required: SC
We are looking for a SC cleared, qualified Health & Safety Advisor with substantial and proven experience of working with hazardous chemicals/substances.
This is for 100 days over 2 years.
Working within the Chemical, Biological and Radiological Division you will demonstrate best practice in occupational and chemical safety by generating and promoting a positive vision for safety within CBR Division and across Dstl. You will take a role in helping to handle risks from substances by the identification of issues then the development and delivery of pragmatic solutions. This will involve engagement with individuals and teams within the Division and through partnering with subject matter experts.
Advise the Safety Manager, Head of Safety, Division Heads and other stakeholders of changes to legislation, codes of practice or safety guidance that affect Dstl activities. You will:
* Support process changes or improvement to Dstl's system of management control.
* Actively support and influence the hazardous substance safety agenda by taking ownership for both communicating and acting on key messages.
* Monitor & evaluate the effectiveness of Safety systems and procedures and identify and implement improvements through participation with the Division and the Corporate Safety Audit teams.
* Advise on the adequacy of emergency plans for incidents involving hazardous chemicals, through testing & practice. Provide technical support to Senior Establishment Incident Manager (SEIM) during a site incident as requested
* Monitor, investigate and process incident reports raised by staff, contractors and visitors and that actions are closed out
* Develop and deliver an effective training programme for staff that use hazardous substances. You will also mentor staff through the development, delivery and evaluation of safety training and the identification and active promotion of safety initiatives.
* Develop and participate in inspection and audit programmes. Supporting Safety inspections led by Division Head, Group Leaders and the Safety Manager.
* Ensure incident data is accurately collected so that Dstl has reliable workforce records that can provide information to assist decision-making.- �
* Provide timely, impartial, evidence-based safety advice to customers to enable them to make informed decision
* Substantial and proven experience of working with hazardous chemicals
* BOHS Certificate of Operational Competence in Occupational Hygiene.
* A recognised Safety qualification at National Qualifications Framework Level 3 or NVQ equivalent.
* Experience of providing advice of the safe use of hazardous substances.
* A degree in chemical sciences or equivalent experience
* Licentiate member of the Faculty of Occupational Hygiene
* A recognised Safety qualification at National Qualifications Framework Level 6 (Diploma) or NVQ equivalent.
* Hold Grad IOSH (or equivalent) and working towards, chartered membership of a professional H&S body (i.e. IOSH, IIRSM or BOHS etc.)
As well as the specific experience required above you will have the necessary qualifications, skills & experience to take control of this requirement from its inception to its completion.
If you meet the experience required above please apply/contact me ASAP. Thank you.