Building Control Surveyor
Location: Barnet House - with travel to other sites
We are seeking a Building Control Surveyor to join our Local Government building control and planning division. Our team is made up of experienced and qualified surveyors who have great local knowledge and provide practical advice and guidance at every step of the way. We work with homeowners, local builders, architect and agents to make sure that work carried out is safe, well-built and energy efficient.
This role requires you to be able to provide a range of professional and technical skills. To discharge the Councils delegated powers and duties as required under the Building Regulations, Building Act and associated legislation. Assist in the provision of service for the diverse range of activities.
The successful candidate will be required to:
* Ensure that all works controlled under the Building Regulations and associated legislation are undertaken in such a manner as to comply with substantive provisions.
* Provide professional advice and guidance to all users of the service and recommend innovative and practical solutions to complex building regulation queries
* Ensure unauthorised work is brought into compliance and lead on any necessary enforcement action under the Building Regulations and Building Act.
* Prime responsibility for taking decisions on all aspects of Dangerous Structures and responding within 2-hour target time. When necessary to work in accordance with the emergency plan and liaise with other departments of the Council and outside bodies to achieve removal of the dangerous structure. Complete call out reports issue and serve any required notices. Participation in the Dangerous Structures Out of Hours Call Out Rota.
* Ensure the delivery of Building Control services to timescales and level of quality set by legislation, industry performance guidelines and internal targets
* Prime responsibility for taking decisions on site of works as controlled under the Building Regulations and in accordance with Re's policy
* Prime responsibility for taking decisions on allocated Building Regulation applications, Notices and matters as allocated from the Area Manager
* Assist in reviewing, recommending and implementing changes to office procedures to optimise working practices
* Represent Re as an expert witness at enforcement hearings in the Magistrates’ and Crown Courts as and when required
* Responsible for taking decisions on all aspects of Demolitions
* Assist on decisions on Building Regulation matters that are delegated from the Head of Building Control and Structure
* Lead on pre-application meetings and liaise with other agencies in a development team approach
* To act as a specialist in a major field of the building regulations (e.g. Parts B, E, L & M) and provide advice to in-house and users of the service
* Use of technical equipment as provided by Re for testing/recording materials, and where necessary liaison with external bodies for testing. Record results, take appropriate action and be responsible for equipment carried.
* Responsible for drafting non-standard letters
* Undertake training and constructively take part in meetings, supervision, seminars and other events designed to improve communication and assist with the effective development of the post and post holder
* Responsible for undertaking Disabled Access Audits
* Undertake site inspections to determine compliance with R