Senior Scientist/Space Systems Consultant - satellites
CV Submission Deadline: 15/8/18 @ 1435
Please note - on receipt of an authorised time sheet, No8 guarantee to pay contractors within 7 days
We are looking for a Senior Satellite Scientist/Space Systems consultant with DV, experience of leading teams responsible for satellite design/build/payload integration & recent experience working in the Space industry. Ideally you will have experience working on Defence-related projects & knowledge of Defence acquisition.
You will join the Dstl Space and Sensing Systems Group to advise and inform a range of projects delivering future space capabilities to the Ministry of Defence. Working as a senior member of the programme team, in the field of spacecraft systems, you will act as a key adviser to the Space Programme Manager and our customers on matters related to current and future military space programmes. This will include:
* Helping to define, shape and assure the Space S&T Programme
* Providing detailed input on aspects of design, manufacture, qualification, acceptance and integration of space craft (including payloads)
* Provide input into requirements documentation for new military satellite projects.
* Assess maturity of evidence presented at Preliminary and Critical Design Reviews, Qualification and Acceptance.
* Partnering our suppliers to ensure the requirements and outputs a aligned with defence needs and priorities.
We are looking for someone with experience in leading large projects involving aspects of spacecraft design, engineering and development in the following areas:
* Satellite sub-system design and integration such as, power systems, TT&C systems, satellite structural design, thermal management system design, downlink systems and payload integration.
* Spacecraft operations, including satellite constellation design and ground infrastructure.
* Launch systems both technically and in their procurement for the purpose of satellite launch.
* Satellite payload design including Electro-Optical and Radio Frequency sensing systems in space.
* Satellite standards (e.g. GSFC-STD-7000A).
You will also need to have a desire to learn about the military-specific aspects of satellite's (including hardening) design, qualification and operation. In this role you will be responsible for:
* Consult and liaise with project and programme managers to understand, shape and develop project requirements and provide detailed input on all aspects (including mechanical, electrical, thermal and materials) of design, manufacture, qualification, acceptance of payloads and their integration into the spacecraft.
* Provide technical leadership of project work packages, working alongside the project manager assessing maturity of evidence presented at Preliminary and Critical Design Reviews, Qualification and Acceptance, developing plans to ensure work is completed to time, cost and quality.
* Be responsible for designing, developing and delivering a cost effective analytical approach to solving problems, keeping abreast of new spacecraft technologies and analysing how these developments can be utilised in military systems.
* You will be expected to support the development and mentoring of Dstl members of staff working with you on your projects, providing feedback to them and their Team Leader.
* Experience of leading teams responsible for satellite design, build and payload