Building Control Surveyor
We are looking for a Building Control Surveyor with excellent knowledge of Building Regulations, associated legislation, Dangerous Structures & Demolition.
About the role: This role is based within Regional Enterprise (Re) in Barnet, North London. This role requires you to be able to provide a range of professional and technical skills. To discharge the Councils delegated powers and duties as required under the Building Regulations, Building Act and associated legislation. Assist in the provision of service for the diverse range of activities.
Our team is made up of experienced and qualified surveyors who have great local knowledge and provide practical advice and guidance at every step of the way. We work with homeowners, local builders, architect and agents to make sure that work carried out is safe, well-built and energy efficient. In 2016, we worked with some of the country's biggest developers. In 2017 we are looking at expanding our non-core work; grow our team and be the local leader in delivering CPD to builders, architects and investors.
Key responsibilities of the role are:
* Ensure that all works controlled under the Building Regulations and associated legislation are undertaken in such a manner as to comply with substantive provisions.
* Provide professional advice and guidance to all users of the service and recommend innovative and practical solutions to complex building regulation queries
* Ensure unauthorised work is brought into compliance and lead on any necessary enforcement action under the Building Regulations and Building Act.
* Prime responsibility for taking decisions on all aspects of Dangerous Structures and responding within 2-hour target time. When necessary to work in accordance with the emergency plan and liaise with other departments of the Council and outside bodies to achieve removal of the dangerous structure. Complete call out reports, issue and serve any required notices. Participation in the Dangerous Structures Out of Hours Call Out Rota.
* Contribute to the marketing and promotion of the Building Control Service so as to minimise the loss of work to Approved Inspectors in the private sector.
* Ensure the delivery of Building Control services to time scales and level of quality set by legislation, industry performance guidelines and internal targets.
* Prime responsibility for taking decisions on site of works as controlled under the Building Regulations and in accordance with Re's policy
* Prime responsibility for taking decisions on allocated Building Regulation applications, Notices and matters as allocated from the Area Manager
* Ensure that personal service performance targets are consistently achieved
* Assist the Area Manager in the delivery of a cost effective service
* Assist in reviewing, recommending and implementing changes to office procedures to optimise working practices
* Represent Re as expert witness at enforcement hearings in the Magistrates and Crown Courts as and when required
* Deputise and take decisions for the Area Manager in their absence
* Responsible for taking decisions on all aspects of Demolitions
* Undertake all duties in accordance with any Building Control Service Quality Assurance systems or other procedures
* Use office technology as required
* Assist the Area Manager in checking reports, recommendations and decisions on Building Regulation matters that are delegated from the Head of Building