We are looking for a qualified & experienced Principal Ecologist to become a senior team member of the Ecology team in the Capita Real Estate & Infrastructure Division with responsibility for the leadership and day-to-day management of the team of ecologists and providing senior level ecological expertise. The Principal Ecologist's role is instrumental in achieving the timely, efficient and thorough completion of projects and development of the ecology business.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
* Ensure resourcing for ecological surveys are consistently achieved with clear appointed lead surveyors identified (as appropriate according to personal ecological specialisms) including: Phase 1 habitat surveys, site assessments for protected species,initial inspections for bats and follow-up surveys of activity, great crested newts using standard techniques.
* Carry out survey relevant to personal specialisms and degree of experience and seniority where required.
* Interpret survey data and advise colleagues and clients clearly about implications.
* Produce and provide Quality Control of accurate and thorough reports in Capita Ecology Team's format and develop new formats where required.
* Mentor and coach colleagues and junior staff to develop their ecological skills.
* Line manage junior staff (Senior ecologists, ecologists, assistants) including day-to-day management, carrying out appraisals, dealing with performance.
* Manage and co-ordinate projects to produce thorough, accurate outputs and meet deadlines efficiently.
* Schedule and chair team meetings, arranging an appropriate agenda and minuting important matters.
* Respond efficiently to queries for work and complete accurate and realistic fee proposals - responding to queries within 24 hours.
* Set up new jobs and obtain project codes quickly and efficiently.
* Provide the Ecology Team Manager with details of new projects, progress on existing jobs and deadlines and resourcing issues at brief weekly update meetings.
* Deliver presentations e.g: toolbox talks and basic training and instruction particularly in relation to business development, CPD.
* Identify and capitalise on business development opportunities.
* Ability to drive for meetings and surveys.
* Undertake work at a range of locations across the country and at times dictated by the needs of the business, although the day-to-day office base will be either Manchester or Blackburn
* Take responsibility for personal development and maintenance of up-to-date ecological skills and development of new skills.
Your experience will include:
* Demonstrable ability to undertake ecological surveys, including Phase 1 habitat surveys, site assessments for protected species, initial inspections for bats and follow-up surveys of activity, great crested newts using standard techniques as a minimum.
* Demonstrable ability to manage projects, including setting and meeting deadlines.
* A range of organisational skills including successfully acting as a lead contact and manager for multiple projects, the ability to plan own and team's workload and producing high quality outputs such as accurate, thorough and comprehensive reports.
* Staff management skills including proven ability to manage ecologists and junior staff to produce a happy, cohesive team.
* Tenacity to chase for required information, outputs from staff to meet deadlines and deal with poor performan