Job title - Ref
Head of Safety - 3629
Duration - Hours
8 months approx. - 8/40
Negotiable based on experience
We are looking for a Head of Safety ideally with nuclear sector/Magnox experience. Role to cover the South of England sites. Detail below
Purpose of the role.
Effective management of the section and delivery of a legally / company compliant service to the Site and Projects.
* As an effective Manager/ Team Leader, the post holder will be responsible for People Management, Performance Management, Control and Supervision, Communications, Resource Management and Management of Systems and Processes.
* Assign tasks to the team members ensuring they are Suitably Qualified and Experienced (SQEP) to carry out such tasks.
* Responsible for team/ individual development plans and ensuring training is carried out.
* Ensure all team members receive the support necessary to both understand and contribute to achieving the objectives of the Department Lifetime Plan.
* Regularly undertake team briefings to ensure staff are well informed regarding both technical and administrative matters concerning the execution of their responsibilities.
* Design, delivery and evaluation of training, acting as coach and mentor.
* Develop policies and arrangements for compliance with industrial safety, emergency planning and operational experience feedback statutory and company requirements as required.
* Provide authoritative advice to the Site on industrial safety, emergency planning and operational experience feedback as required.
* Provide assurance of the adequacy of safety arrangements through audit, inspections, investigation of events and self-assessment reviews.
* Support the interface with the relevant Regulator or external authorities.
* Develop an integrated management system incorporating conventional safety, including CDM and related Site Licence requirements reflecting Company and Statutory requirements and industry best practice.
* Gain and maintain required regulatory approvals and external certification as appropriate.
* Promote effective Health and Safety standards with a positive staff culture for continuous improvement.
* Ensure that safety publicity and campaigns are developed and deliver to promote awareness and improvement.
* Maintain OHSAS 18001 as appropriate.
* Co-ordinate the competence assessment of persons listed in the baseline arrangements.
* Confirm that contract safety personnel are SQEP for the roles they are to undertake on Site.
* Assist with any other duties commensurate with the grade and range of the post.
* Ensure sufficient suitably qualified and experienced people are available for the Site to operate effectively and discharge its legal and contractual obligations.
* Ensure personal and professional development and training of safety staff to deliver an effective and suitably qualified and experienced Function.
* Ensure that effective and compliant safety standards and procedures are embedded into the Site and provide high level advice on their implementation.
* Ensure effective communication within the Function/Site.
* Set targets, monitor performance and take action as necessary to maintain safety standards and improve performance.
* Identify good practice in performance at sites and externally, and promote and deploy across the Functions/Sites.